What You Should Know About the Working Holiday Japan Program

A working holiday is one where you receive a specific visa, allowing you to get employment in the country you’re visiting so you can supplement your travel funds, spending less money. Most working holiday visas are offered as part of a reciprocal agreement, so that citizens will travel from one country to the other. Most are meant for younger travelers (between eighteen and thirty years old), have particular limits on what kind of work you can do and how long you can work, and expect you to bring plenty of money to live on while you’re looking for a job.

Japan was one of the first countries to initiate a working holiday program, coming to an agreement with Australia at the end of 1980, and with New Zealand in 1985. Canada started a program with Japan in 1986, and South Korea and France joined in 1999, with Germany following in 2000, the UK in 2001, and Ireland and Denmark in 2007. Working holiday programs are becoming much more popular around the world, and help travelers get a real global perspective and learn more about the countries they visit.

In order to help people travel, they’re allowed to get part time or full time employment, so that they need fewer savings to travel to Japan. The working holiday program in Japan requires visitors to enter Japan within a year of the visa being issued, and grants a stay period between six months and a year, which may be extended another six months, depending on the country you’re coming from. Only people who’ve never had a working holiday visa in Japan may obtain one, and the visa is single entry, so if you need to leave temporarily, you’ll have to get a re-entry permit before you leave.

You can get any kind of job as long as your stay is primarily classified as a holiday. However, there are rules against people on a working holiday visa working in places where business is regulated by the Law on Control and Improvement of Amusement and Entertainment Business. This includes nightclubs, dance clubs, and similar places. If you’re from the UK, there is a six pound charge to get a working holiday visa. Visitors from other countries pay nothing for their visa.

To get this kind of visa you must be a citizen of a country participating in the working visa program, and you must currently live in that country. Your main plan needs to be a holiday in Japan for a specified length of time, and you need to be between the ages of eighteen and thirty. You have to possess a valid passport, as well as a return ticket home or the money to buy one, and you must show you have reasonable funds to cover all living expenses in Japan. The minimum for a single person is two thousand dollars US, or an equivalent amount in your national currency. Your health must be good, and you must have no criminal record.

A working holiday in Japan can be a truly rewarding experience, and people who’ve been part of this program have said that the chance to work and participate in a different culture is something they’re extremely grateful they had.

If you’re thinking about doing a Working Holiday Japan and you meet the above eligibility requirements, try working in a Japanese Resort this year – you’ll have the time of your life!