Travelling With Animals Into and Out of Spain

If one is planning to travel with dogs, cats and ferrets there are some things one should be aware of. Spain is a country in the European Union and also is part of the Schengen Agreement which allows free movement. Rules apply to the animals that travel with the owners. In this case, all animals must:

1) All animals must have an identified owner or someone acting as their chaperone in their place.

2) All animals must have microchips or identifiable tattoos according to the Spanish law of ISO 11784 or the annex, A of law, ISO 11785.

For UK, Ireland, Malta and Sweden, it must be a microchip.

3) All animals must have inactive anti-rabies vaccine of one antigenic unit per dosage.

4) ONLY for UK, Ireland, Malta, a European Union lab must analyze the anti-bodies of the animals 6 months before arrival.

For Sweden, it must be 120 days after the vaccination.

5) Passport which will identify the pet and include their medical information as well as the ownership and microchip number.

6) Appropriate cage or bag with the information of the owner and phone number.

7) Others: For Sweden, all dogs must have had the vaccine against Canine Distemper and Leptospirosis. Also Sweden, Finland, UK, Ireland and Malta require all 3 animals to have had treatments against Echinococcus.

7:1) Against Ticks: Animals going to Finland, UK, Ireland or Malta must also have had a treatment against Ticks.

If an animal is younger than 3 months, one must ask for information because they may be allowed to travel without a vaccine or may not. Each state member has their own regulations.

Travelling with animals into Spain from countries such as USA, Canada, Australia, Russia and Japan, along-side with other countries, will differ due to the fact that their rules and regulations inside the country are stricter. They will only need a microchip and/or tattoo, anti-rabies vaccination and a certificate of conformity signed by an official veterinary or an authorized vet and in the case of the latter, a visa issued by the country of origin. The passport will not be needed as it is only used for pets travelling between Member States of the European Union. However, it can be used if one is travelling to or from one of the neighboring countries where the rabies status matches that of the EU. These countries include: Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland and the Vatican City State.

If the country is one that has not been named before, then the animals must be vaccinated and tested three months for rabies before entering all EU countries except for Ireland, Sweden, Malta and the UK, where quarantine will be required. Spain has no need for quarantine.

If the animal has a Spanish passport, it can also be used in colonies of the countries of the European Union and if you arrive to Spain, your pet can acquire a pet passport to be used while you live in Spain to travel to other EU countries.

Travelling with other animals into Spain also has rules. They must be accompanied, (5 animals maximum per person), and their owners must sign a personal declaration in where they agree not to sell the animals once arriving to Spain and that they accept the decisions made by the Spanish veterinarians and that they have the right to make any decisions if they consider something being threatening to the Spanish sanitary condition. Also, the health certificate must be in Spanish.

When travelling with birds into Spain from other European Union members, the maximum number of birds allowed per person is 5. The health certificate should follow the Spanish model of certificate that can be found on the internet.

The author provides a service helping foreign nationals to set-up businesses in Spain and to get the appropriate legal, business and accounting assistance they require. To find out more click on the link