Plumbers and Electricians Wanted by Canada

A recruitment drive by the Canadian government may result in people, who have passed plumbing courses and electrical courses, moving to the country.

The Canadian Government revealed plans to welcome between 240,000 and 265,000 new permanent residents in 2010, targeting its immigration system to recruit skilled workers like plumbers, electricians and plasterers.

People who have completed plumbing courses, electrical courses and plastering courses are wanted by the North American country because the upcoming Canadian construction season is expected to be the busiest yet.

Construction workers are in demand because of infrastructure stimulus programmes introduced by the Canadian Government in 2009, as well as residential demands for new housing.

Nigel Smith, from the Canadian Visa Bureau, said that people who have completed the appropriate plumbing courses and electrical courses are considered in such demand that they will be able to find work very quickly upon emigrating.

He said: “These are the few occupations that are the lucky exception from the requirement of needing a job offer from a Canadian employer before emigrating, and that is due to the government’s confidence that people in these occupations will be able to secure work.”

Under the current Canadian immigration system, applicants who have an offer of arranged employment typically take approximately six to eight months for their permanent residency applications to be processed.

However, Canadian Visa Bureau is able to obtain temporary work permits for migrants with arranged employment that will allow the migrant to enter Canada and commence work within six to eight weeks.

The Canadian Skilled Migration Program is a points-based system, with points awarded according to age, education, work experience, and language skills.

Applicants aged between 20 to 50 are awarded maximum age points, which is a higher age limit compared with most other countries.

British workers, who have passed plumbing courses, electrical courses and plastering courses, wanting to move to Canada have a number of advantages including English language points as well as a similar cultural heritage.

People who want to become a fully qualified electrician a person will need to undertake the City & Guilds (2330) Technical Certificate in Electrotechnical Technology levels 2 and 3 electrical courses.

In order to become fully qualified plumbing courses that people need to complete include the City & Guilds 6129 Technical Certificate Level 2 and Level 3 and the City & Guilds Plumbing Level 2 and Level 3 NVQ in Mechanical Engineering Services – Plumbing (Domestic).

NatWest International Personal Banking discovered that 48 per cent of people living abroad thought that Canada had the highest quality of life.

Able Skills provides electrical courses and plumbing courses at its dedicated training centre. Able Skills is an accredited centre securing approval to deliver qualification training from City & Guilds, Construction Awards Alliance, EAL, NICEIC and CITB for gas training and assessment.