Immigration to Canada – The Four Main Ways

There are four main ways to apply for immigration to Canada, three permanent residence classes and one temporary class. If you are looking to immigrate to Canada you should consider which of the following classes you are in as this will assist with your application:

Skilled Worker (a.k.a Points System)

This is the most popular class. To be eligible for this class, you must have at least one year of continuous full-time experience in an eligible NOC (National Occupational Classification) occupation.

You as the applicant will be awarded points for your age, education, experience in the work place and your English and/or French language ability. You may also be awarded further points for ‘adaptability’ factors such as :

  • Your partner’s qualifications
  • If you or your partner have studied for at least 2 years in Canada
  • If you have family in the form of a parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, sister, brother, niece, nephew, child or grandchild in Canada
  • If you are currently working in Canada or have arranged employment, points may also be allocated to you for this.
  • Family

    If you have qualifying relatives in Canada who are willing and eligible to sponsor you, there is also the Family Visa option. There are guidelines around ‘sponsor’ eligibility, for instance the person must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. To be classed as ‘Family’ the person must be either : a spouse, common-law or conjugal partners; dependent child, parent or grandparent; an orphaned brother, sister, niece, nephew or grandchild (under 19).


    This option is sub categorized into three sections; self-employed, entrepreneur and investor.

    The Self-employed immigration to Canada class is limited to farmers and applicants who will be of cultural, artistic or sporting value to the country.

    For immigration to Canada under the Entrepreneur class, you must have past ‘business experience’ in a ‘qualifying business’ for a specified period. Under current regulations, applicants must also possess a net worth of at least $300,000 in Canadian currency.

    Applicants wanting to immigrate to Canada under the Investor Class must possess a total net worth of at least $800,000 in Canadian currency and invest $400,000 (Canada) of this amount with the Canadian Receiver General for 5 years.

    Temporary Visas

    Temporary Visas come in the form of work permits or student visas.

    You may be eligible to apply for a work permit if you are offered a job by a Canadian employer which cannot be filled by a Canadian. The employer must satisfy the Human Resources Department of Canada’s labour market assessment and then you can apply for a work permit, which will be issued for the duration of your employment contract.

    If you are unsure of which class you should apply for immigration to Canada under, an immigration consultant will be able to provide further information on each class and also assist with the application process.

    Migration Bureau – making immigration to Canada easier. The Migration Bureau is one of the world’s largest full service, officially-recognized immigration and job search agencies, with 6 offices worldwide.

    Whether you are seeking professional assistance with residence visa processing, official qualification and trades recognition, business migration, job search, or re-settlement services, the Migration Bureau can manage the entire application process for you.

    Their consultants and advisers are recognized by by professional industry bodies such as the Migration Agents Registration Authority of Australia (MARA), Immigration Advisers Authority (IAA) – New Zealand and the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants (CSIC). Their prime objective is to improve your chances of success in obtaining your visa and to avoid lengthy and costly delays.