How To Immigrate To Canada As A Skilled Worker

Canada accepts approximately 250,000 immigrants from other countries every year. Among the people most in demand are skilled workers and professionals. They are citizens of other countries who already have a University degree and a high level of experience in their chosen skilled occupation. People who apply under the skilled worker immigration class are competent in at least one of the country’s official languages, English and French. This will show that they can work in a job in their respective line of work on arrival in the country.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will consider your application for skilled worker immigration when you meet with the following conditions…

Are you eligible to apply? You will meet the requirement if you have a firm job offer. You can also apply if you are already working in Canada or if you are living in Canada as an international student. You can still apply if you do not have a job offer but have the at least one year experience in the same line of occupation you want to have in Canada.

If you want to apply using your previous work experience in the chosen category, go to the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada to verify your job category is included in the website under the entitled categories. Your experience should be a minimum of one year.

Make sure you pass the self assessment test online. The immigration officer will assess your application after seeing your educational qualifications and job experience.

Download the permanent residency forms from the CIC website. Fill them by following the instructions given carefully.

Do you have the needed funds to support yourself? As of now, if you want to come alone you will need to show proof that you have at least $11115 CAD. You will need more for each dependent family member you want to bring with you. The CIC website will clearly shows the exact numbers of how much you will need.

You will need to pay the application fees using a certified check, bank draft or money order payable in Canadian dollars and addressed to the ‘The Receiver General for Canada.’ You can also pay by credit card. The application fee is currently $550 CAD per person on the application.

Send your application with all necessary documents along with the payment to ‘Citizen and Immigration Canada, Federal Skilled Worker, Centralized Intake Office, PO Box 7500, Sydney NS, B1P0A9, Canada.’

You will also need to submit police certificates from every country you’ve lived in for at least 6 months after the age of 18. You do not need to submit them at the time of application although highly encouraged. However, sometimes its better to wait and submit them at the very end considering police certificates are valid for 1 year and the application process may be longer. So, even if you do submit them, you may be asked to submit new ones!

You will also need to pass the medical requirements meeting 2 criteria. The first is to not have any conditions that threaten the Canadian public. The second is to have any condition that will be excessively demanding on the Canadian healthcare system. It’s important to note that your medical exams have to e conducted by a doctor on Canada’s list of designated medical practitioners.

Keep in mind that the process takes time that differs depending on what country you are applying from. The CIC website has a list of estimated wait periods by visa office locations. Once you are approved, you will need to pay right of permanent residence fee which is $490 CAD per person.

Once you are given your immigration visa, it will be valid for a limited time. You have to come to Canada before it expires or else you lose it! If you have to tie loose ends before you settle in Canada, that’s perfectly acceptable, however, you need to come to Canada, get your permanent residency card, and then go back to tie your loose ends!

Moe Afifi []