How Does Having Relatives in Canada Help With the Immigration Process

Having a relative living in Canada may be of no help at all in the immigration process. However, if the relative is a permanent resident or a citizen of Canada, this gives you an alternative method of applying for immigration. If they are financially able to sponsor you, it might give you a better chance of being accepted. There are some drawbacks to this option.

Canada reserves the right to temporarily or permanently close application acceptance in any of its programs at any time. As of Nov. 5, 2011 through Nov. 5, 2013 Canada is no longer allowing the sponsorship of parents or grandparents. This may be extended, or it could be opened back up on that date. Until Nov. 5, 2013 the family members you can sponsor is limited to: Spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, dependent child (under 18 years old), brother, sister, nephew, niece, or grandchild (if they are orphaned and under 18 years of age) or a child under 18 years of age that you intend to adopt.

The sponsor must also meet some stiff requirements. These include being a permanent resident or a citizen of Canada. They have to demonstrate the financial ability to support the family member or members they are sponsoring until they can support themselves. This mean supplying food, clothing, shelter, dental and eye care, and other health care not covered by the public health service. The sponsor has to willingly enter into an agreement with the Canadian government, stating that they will provide the necessary support for a set period of time. The sponsored relative also has to agree to become self-supporting within a specified length of time, if they are over 22 and not elderly.

This may not be the best way for a person to immigrate to Canada. There are several other programs that may provide a better means of attaining acceptance for immigration. This may, be the only option if the person being sponsored is under the age of 18, but for anyone older than that another option may prove to be a better idea. It might be wise to talk to an immigration lawyer about your circumstances before putting that burden on a member of your family.

Canada is facing a crisis where they have many elderly people nearing retirement age and not enough young people trained to take their places. Many countries are facing the same problem at the moment. Canada’s answer to this is a selective immigration policy that is aimed at attracting young, educated people as immigrants. This is actually a very wise move on the part of Canada. It will boost the economy and provide a lasting, well-trained, work force for the country.

One way they are doing this is to offer international study visas; another way is with temporary work permits. Either one of these options may be a better solution if you are old enough for advanced education or skill at a trade.

Max Chaudhary has helped 100’s of now new Canadian Citizens obtain Canadian Immigration Status. If you need a Immigration Lawyers Toronto to help with Canadian Immigration be sure to Contact Max Chaudhary at or visit his office at Chaudhary Law Office, 18 Wynford Drive, Suite 707, Toronto, Ontario, M3C 3S2, Tel: 416-447-6118 for a consultation.