Everything You Need to Know About Studying in Canada

Canadian universities and colleges welcome more than 1,30,000 foreign students a year. Visa procedures are simple and there is great employment opportunity. Canada offers quality education at affordable tuition rates. The average cost for a foreign student for one school year (8 months) in an undergraduate program is C$11,903.

A Canadian degree, diploma or certificate is recognized as being equivalent to a US degree/diploma/certificate.

A Safe Place To Study

Canada has one of the lowest crime rates in the world. It is considered to be a relatively peaceful, safe and orderly country. Unlike in the US, firearms are strictly controlled and generally are not permitted in Canada.

Canadian Education System

In Canada, there are publicly funded and private schools including community colleges/ technical institutes, career colleges, language schools, secondary schools, summer camps, universities and university colleges. Different provinces follow different education systems.

Under the Canadian system, it isn’t necessary for children to attend kindergarten. Children who do attend kindergarten usually start at the age of four or five. All children begin Grade One (first standard in many countries) at about six years of age. The academic year normally runs from September through the following June. Secondary schools go up to Grades 11 or 12, depending on the province. Once they have completed their secondary education, students may attend university or college.

Canada has 92 universities and 175 Community colleges. Foreign students prefer to enroll in community colleges as they require only 15 years of education for a Post Graduate Diploma/certificate program. Only those who have completed 16 years of education can enroll in a university.

Cooperative education

Some Graduate Certificates/Diplomas often include a paid co-op component. It combines courses with relevant work, giving students an invaluable head start with their career. Students will also get connected to the Canadian job market. Thus the work experience is part of the curriculum.

Post-graduation work visa

The post graduation work visa is created especially for international students. This visa allows graduating students from post-secondary public institutions and some private institutions the opportunity to apply for work visa on an offer of employment in their respective field of study and give them the opportunity to gain crucial Canadian work experience in the field of their studies for a term of either one or two years.

While in Canada on a work Visa, it is also possible to have your permanent residence application processed in tandem. Once your application has been approved you will be able to continue to stay in Canada.

Getting your visa to study in Canada

If you are an international student and you want to study in Canada, you may require a temporary resident visa and a study permit. Quebec-bound students need to obtain a CAQ (Quebec Application Certificate). You may also require other documents depending on your country of origin and the type and length of study.

No study permit is required if the study program you opted for lasts for less than six months. Programs longer than six months require a study permit.

If you will be studying in a program of six months or less, but intend to continue your studies in another program after this short-term program is completed, you should apply for a study permit before you come to Canada. If you do not have a valid study permit and wish to continue your studies, you will have to leave Canada in order to apply for one.

The author is the editor of dailylearningtips.com, a website that provides study abroad [http://www.dailylearningtips.com] information and TOEFL practice tests [http://www.dailylearningtips.com/exams/toefl.htm].