Essential Resources: Immigration in Alberta

Alberta, located in Western Canada, is renowned for its immaculate mountains, open spaces, and fresh air. Alberta has a very strong economy due to its natural resources, like oil and gas. The people of Alberta come from all cultures and walks of life. Every year people immigrate to Alberta in search of a high-quality of life, welcoming communities, and beautiful landscapes. Whether you’re looking to stay short- or long-term in Alberta, there are many resources available to help make your move a seamless transition.


The Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP), is operated by the Government of Alberta, and also works alongside the Government of Canada’s department of Citizenship and Immigration in Canada (CIC). The Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) nominates work-ready immigrants to work in Alberta. Individuals who are looking to permanently relocate to Alberta, must apply for their permanent visa through the department of Citizenship and Immigration CIC. The AINP breaks down their application by streams and categories. Some of the streams include: skilled worker, International graduate, tradesperson, engineer, farmer, etc. The criteria for eligibility depends on the stream that you fall into. Alberta Learning Information Service


The Alberta Learning Information Service (ALIS), provides support for job seekers, educators, students, and newcomers. There is a newcomer guide available entitled, Welcome to Alberta: Information for Newcomers. The guide provides practical information for settling, working and living in Alberta.


Accommodations are important. Whether you plan to live in Edmonton, or any other city in Alberta, there are plenty of housing options available. Fort McMurray is a popular choice among immigrants; it is a scenic town with a welcoming community. You can find an apartment rental in Fort McMurray, and even get one that is furnished. Furnished suites are ideal for those who are relocating internationally, since it removes the hassle of buying and moving furniture.

Lanuage Training:

Learning the National Languages Canada’s national languages are English and French. The government of Canada offers free language training to newcomers who would like to learn the national languages. There are some eligibility criteria that you must meet in order to qualify for the free training. To qualify, you must be a permanent resident or a newcomer who is allowed to stay in Canada, and you must also be an adult immigrant. If you don’t qualify for free language training by the Canadian government, there are paid classes that you can take to learn Canada’s national languages. You can look into the private classes offered at most Universities, community colleges, language schools, and community organizations.

Health Care:

Accessing Health Care Canada’s health care system is funded through the taxes that are paid by citizens and permanent residents. Health insurance differs in each province, so, you should check the health coverage offered in Alberta. What isn’t covered by the province may be covered through a private health insurance plan. Once you arrive in Canada, you should go to a doctor’s office, hospital, or immigration organization to get an application form for health care. You may also find application forms online at Alberta’s ministry of health website.

We’re delivering a series of articles focused on providing useful information on lifestyle, employment, accommodations and housing for those moving to Fort McMurray. For more information on furnished apartments for rent in Fort McMurray, please visit: