Australia Work Visas, Different Categories and Programs

If you plan to work in Australia you will need a valid passport and an Australian work visa of which there are several different types.

Working Holiday Makers Visa- Most commonly used by young travelers and backpackers. It is a great way to experience Australia and find work along the way. To apply you must be between the age of 18 and 30 years old and be from one these countries Canada, Belgium, Denmark, Cyprus, France, Estonia, Germany, Finland, Hong Kong Italy, Japan, Ireland, Korea, Norway, Malta, Taiwan, Sweden, The United Kingdom and The Netherlands. You may hold this visa for up to 12 months and you may hold any type of job for up to 6 months. A fee of $230AUD is applicable

Work and Holiday Visa- This is for citizens of certain countries who do not have a working visa agreement with Australia. Countries such as United States, Chile, Bangladesh and Turkey. The fee is $230 and you may obtain this visa for a 12 month period but can only hold a job with the same employer for up to 6 months

Regional Visa Program – Offers incentives to international workers and helps to supply regional Australia with a skilled workforce.

Employer Sponsored Work Visa– For skilled or qualified persons who have gained employment in Australia on a permanent or temporary basis.

Skilled Migration Program– For those who are not yet sponsored by an employer but fit the criteria of certain skills required in Australia. To apply for this visa you must be between the age of 18 and 45, have a good command of English plus work experience and qualifications. Under this program there are many options for professional or skilled migrants.

Business People Visa– For people who wish to establish or manage a business in Australia. There are 3 sub categories for this visa. Business visit, business development, permanent business development.

Special Activities Visa- There are 16 categories for this visa. Some include coming to Australia for medical treatment, participating in an entertainment or sporting event, retiring in Australia.

To get more info and download the application forms go to the official government website

Now you have some of the practical stuff sorted, why not check out over 350 Videos of Australia HAPPY TRAVELS!

Dean Arnold – Editor of Trekabout Australia